Complaints Procedure

We try to deal with any complaints we receive in a friendly, efficient and professional manner and our aim is to ensure that we receive no complaints at all. Please ask if you would like a copy of our complaints policy and procedure now. However, should you have cause to complain, which might include a complaint about the size or nature of our bill, or about our services, please raise it first with the member of staff who is responsible for the day-to-day conduct of your matter. That person should be able to resolve your problem quickly and informally. You can also raise the matter with the person identified in our Engagement Letter as the ‘Supervisor’.

If this does not resolve the matter to your satisfaction, you should refer the matter to our Client Care Partner, Mr. John Lowry. He will speak with you as soon as possible, provide you with a copy of our complaints procedure if you do not already have one and will explain what we will do and by when. He will confirm this in writing.

You will not be charged for any costs associated with handling your complaint.

If we are unable to resolve your complaint then you can have the complaint independently reviewed by the Legal Ombudsman, who investigates complaints about service issues with lawyers.

The Legal Ombudsman expects complaints to be made to them within one year of the date of the act or omission giving rise to the complaint or within one year of the date you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint. You must also refer your concerns to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of our final response to you.

You can contact the Legal Ombudsman by

Post:      Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6167, Slough, SL1 0EH      


Tel:        0300 555 0333. 

    You will need to provide:

  • Reasons why you are dissatisfied with Hine Downing’s handling of your complaint and/or the decision reached;
  • Hine Downing’s reference;
  • The name of the case worker at Hine Downing;
  • A copy of our final decision letter.

Alternatively you may wish to complain to our regulatory body, the Solicitors Regulation Authority, at or

Solicitors Regulation Authority, The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN.

Additionally, you may also have a right to object our bill by applying to the court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974.   However, if you apply to the court about our bill, the Legal Ombudsman may not deal with your complaint

If all or part of a bill ultimately deemed payable remains unpaid, we may be entitled to charge interest per section (4) above.